Midlothian Messenger

Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS

Written by Lauren Bannister

On April 19th and April 20th, MHS hosted their own version of Shattered Dreams to bring awareness to drunk driving and distracted driving before the upcoming events such as Prom and Graduation.

Shattered Dreams began coming together in the Fall with administrators working hard to get sponsors for the event, and students that would be involved. The two parts of shattered dreams were the car crash,  and the “living dead.” The car crash featured MHS students that were put into two different cars: an “innocent” car and a “drunk” car. Students were made up on the 19th and put into the cars, and juniors and seniors got the chance to have an insight into what the scene would actually look like. There were firefighters, police officers, ambulances, and even a care flight portion. To have an affect on students, one student was “dead” on scene and one was transported to the hospital via care flight where he was later pronounced “dead.” Kyle Almand, a current MHS Senior, was one of these students.

“A lot of my friends tend to drink and drive and I felt they needed to be impacted somehow,”Almand said. “It has made me think about the decisions I’m making and what my friends are making, and what will happen to us all in the future.”

The living dead portion included many juniors and seniors. These students were called out of class by the grim reaper where he then read their obituaries. These students were painted to look “dead” and painted their name on their own cross which they then placed in fronton the school by the crash site. Every time someone was called out of class it represented how often someone dies in a drunk driving accident. These students went back to class for the rest of the day, and people were not allowed to communicate with them, and in return they could not talk to others.

“I think the worst part about being a part of the living dead was seeing my peers upset and not being able to explain what’s going on or comfort them,” MHS Senior Laney Seago said. “The best part was seeing how well everything came together knowing that we had made an impact.”

While the living dead were in class, the car crash students were secluded in the black box without technology. The living dead also turned their phones in after they were pronounced. This was to take the activity further and make it seem as if these people were actually gone. At the end of the day on Thursday, all students involved were taken to another location where they talked to counselors, administrators, and teachers about what had happened that day, but also to hung out with each other. Without technology, the students were fully engaged in the activities presented to help debrief form Shattered Dreams.

“[My favorite part was] not having my phone and not having to communicate with anybody,” Almand said. “It was nice just getting to hang out with people and not be attached to our phones, and getting to talk to people I probably wouldn’t of talked to before this.”

On Friday morning, the students returned to school to participate in the assembly set up as  a memorial for those that “passed away” the day before. The featured speaker was Sean Carter. Sean Carter was involved in a drunk driving accident where he is now in a wheelchair and unable to speak. You can read about Sean’s story at www.facesofdrunkdriving.com.

Check out the full video over the 2018 MHS Shattered Dreams program.

Lauren Bannister, Staff Writer

Hi, I’m Lauren Bannister! I’m a senior here at MHS. I’m a Varsity Cheerleader, an FCCLA Officer, Student Council President, and an NHS Member. This...

• Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS

News

What a Legacy They Leave Us

• Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS

News

The Origins of Halloween Explained

• Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS

News

Fall sports prepare for upcoming school year

• Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS

Photo Gallery

Engineering creates roller coasters

• Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS

Photo Gallery

WOW Showcase draws in the community

• Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS

Opinions

Teachers of my dreams

• Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS

Opinions

Earth Day encourages going green

• Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS

News

In-N-Out Burger tickets now available

• Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS

News

FCCLA teams bring home 1st, 2nd, 4th place at State Leadership Meeting

• Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS

News

Seussical earns 5 nominations

The student news site of Midlothian High School
Inside Shattered Dreams at MHS