Midlothian Messenger

MHS to Host Fine Arts Celebration on March 24th

Written by Lauren Bannister

Midlothian High School is hosting a Fine Arts Celebration on Saturday, March 24th, from 9:45 a.m. to 1 p.m..

The celebration will include the MHS Concert Bands, MHS Cheerleaders, MHS Debate/Speech Teams, MHS Choirs, MHS Jazz Band, MHS Dance Department, MHS Media/TV, MHS Solos and Ensembles, MHS Performance Arts, and an MHS Student Art Show. The show was put together by Mr. Franks, a new Art teacher here at MHS.

“Being new to the district, I was blown away at the quality of art that students were showing me in class,” Mr. Franks said. “[I thought] ‘Holy schmolies, these students are incredible!’ After one of the earlier pep rallies last semester, I started wondering ‘What if our students were competing with their art skills like the athletes do?  Would we make such a fuss about their talent as much as we do with the athletes?’ After all, I’d put my art students up against any other school’s art students, any day.”

A celebration of the Fine Arts is not completely new to MHS, but it’s the first time it’s occurred in many years. Mr. Franks was supported by many teachers who wanted to include art, debate, theatre, dance, the fine arts, and many more. This event will be a non-stop “fair-type” of event where there is always something happening. The Cheerleaders will start the event and the first large production will be the MHS Dance Teams performing in the auditorium. Between their show and the next, the audience can enjoy an art show in the main hallway, artists showcasing their skills in live demonstrations, the theater group performing skits or the debate team performing selections in the Black Box, soloists and ensembles filling the halls with music, and the TV/Media department’s news desk interactive experience. The Choir will be scheduled to perform at eleven and the band at noon.

“Like a fair, there will be something for everyone to enjoy and never a dull moment that I hope will inspire others to pursue their own artistic direction,” Mr. Franks concluded. “There is so much talent and potential here at MHS that I see it growing each year. Maybe in the years to come we can include more departments such as Ag or academics. Who knows? The idea behind this celebration is we need to support and lift up our students’ talents and show them how important they are to our MHS family.”

Make sure to bring friends and family out to MHS on March 24th from 9:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. to celebrate the students of MHS and all of their talent.

Lauren Bannister, Staff Writer

Hi, I’m Lauren Bannister! I’m a senior here at MHS. I’m a Varsity Cheerleader, an FCCLA Officer, Student Council President, and an NHS Member. This...

• MHS to Host Fine Arts Celebration on March 24th

News

What a Legacy They Leave Us

News

The Origins of Halloween Explained

News

Fall sports prepare for upcoming school year

Photo Gallery

Engineering creates roller coasters

Photo Gallery

WOW Showcase draws in the community

Opinions

Teachers of my dreams

Opinions

Earth Day encourages going green

News

In-N-Out Burger tickets now available

News

FCCLA teams bring home 1st, 2nd, 4th place at State Leadership Meeting

News

Seussical earns 5 nominations

The student news site of Midlothian High School