The student news site of Midlothian High School

Midlothian Messenger

The Next Step for Seniors

Written by Lauren Bannister

With the end of the first semester nearing, Seniors need to be thinking about the next step.

Students who have not applied to any colleges need to start researching, gaining some ideas, and begin applying. Deadlines are crucial and early decisions are currently being sent out with many schools opening scholarships and housing options very soon.

“Be patient and be ready to write essays,” MHS College Liaison Mrs. Oliver said. “It is tedious work but necessary at this time in your life. This too shall pass, just look forward to the time when you are actually studying the classes that will be your future career.”

If a senior has already applied, then the next step is narrowing down their choices and beginning to look into scholarships. Students need to think about which school is right for them. It’s important to tour a school during the week so students are able to get a feel for the school during the year.

“You have to really feel it in your gut that ‘this can be home’ and don’t make decisions on where family attended or what everyone else feels is a ‘cool’ school and the one to be at,” Mrs. Oliver said.

Students should search for all types of scholarships because there are scholarships for everything. Students can search for specific scholarships with their parents’ employers, insurance companies, banks and credit unions. There are national scholarships for red heads, left handers, people who where contacts, glasses, etc..

“FASTWEB is a national website we recommend,” Mrs. Oliver said. “Also, you should never have to pay for a scholarship. Be prepared to look for local scholarships with us after the first of the year.”

Before the end of the first semester, Seniors should be applying to schools, completing FAFSA, getting transcripts and paperwork sent in, and narrowing down school preferences. This is crucial so students can begin putting down deposits for housing, participating in new freshman visits, and getting involved with their future school.

“My experience with the seniors last year was that when they returned from Christmas break it all became ‘real’ for them,” Mrs. Oliver said. “They had matured over the break and were getting a little anxious and excited for their new journey! Time really goes fast from January to May. Enjoy every moment of your high school days, spend time with parents and siblings, work on time management as it will be a huge part of the rest of your life and take time to breath and have fun!”

• The Next Step for Seniors

News

What a Legacy They Leave Us

• The Next Step for Seniors

News

The Origins of Halloween Explained

• The Next Step for Seniors

News

Fall sports prepare for upcoming school year

• The Next Step for Seniors

Photo Gallery

Engineering creates roller coasters

• The Next Step for Seniors

Photo Gallery

WOW Showcase draws in the community

• The Next Step for Seniors

Opinions

Teachers of my dreams

• The Next Step for Seniors

Opinions

Earth Day encourages going green

• The Next Step for Seniors

News

In-N-Out Burger tickets now available

• The Next Step for Seniors

News

FCCLA teams bring home 1st, 2nd, 4th place at State Leadership Meeting

• The Next Step for Seniors

News

Seussical earns 5 nominations

The Next Step for Seniors