Midlothian Messenger

Getting to Know Ms. Canonico

Written by Lauren Bannister

Ms. Canonico is the newest addition to the MHS administration this school year, but she actually is just returning home. Here are some questions to get to know Ms. Canonico a little better.

1. Where did you attend high school/college? I attended Midlothian High School, then went to the University of Oklahoma and graduated with a BBA in Marketing. BOOMER SOONER!”

2. What has caused you to come back to Midlothian?Once you leave and see what else is out there, the small town feel doesn’t seem so bad (granted, it isn’t as small now as it was when I was in school!) I wanted to have a family and raise my kids in a smaller environment like I had and not a large city. The schools are better and my family is here so that also played a factor.”

3. Why did you want to get involved in education? I loved Business and Marketing and wanted to teach others about my passion.”

4. What is your favorite thing about being an assistant principal? I am always busy! I don’t like being bored and there is definitely a lot to do in this job. Also, our admin team is great and they all are really supportive.”

5. What advice would you give to seniors currently looking into an education profession? There are so many pieces involved in education to make a district work. Look at all parts of education (administration, teaching, nursing, office staff, business office, etc.) and see what fits you best. Also look at each age range. It is vastly different working with high school than elementary.”

6. What is your favorite MHS tradition? I have always liked Homecoming. Seeing alumni come back and all the hoopla that goes along with Homecoming: the parade, pep rally and game.”

7. Is there something at MHS now that you wish was here before? More CTE courses. I took Business Law and Accounting in high school, but I wish I could have taken more career classes. They really helped to put me ahead when I went to college. I had to take both of those classes in college and they were so easy since I already had a glimpse of them when I was in high school.”

8. What advice would you give to kids looking to get involved in the school? Find your niche. There truly is something for everyone. There are classes and clubs available for different career areas, interests, hobbies, and of course there is athletics and fine arts.”

9. What is a fun fact about you that MHS students may not be aware of? I was in the Junior Olympics in high school for gymnastics and also did gymnastics and cheerleading in college at OU.”

10. If you weren’t involved in education, what would you like to be doing? I would either own my own gift shop or be working in advertising and marketing for a small company.”

Lauren Bannister, Staff Writer

Hi, I’m Lauren Bannister! I’m a senior here at MHS. I’m a Varsity Cheerleader, an FCCLA Officer, Student Council President, and an NHS Member. This...

• Getting to Know Ms. Canonico

News

What a Legacy They Leave Us

• Getting to Know Ms. Canonico

News

The Origins of Halloween Explained

• Getting to Know Ms. Canonico

News

Fall sports prepare for upcoming school year

• Getting to Know Ms. Canonico

Photo Gallery

Engineering creates roller coasters

• Getting to Know Ms. Canonico

Photo Gallery

WOW Showcase draws in the community

• Getting to Know Ms. Canonico

Opinions

Teachers of my dreams

• Getting to Know Ms. Canonico

Opinions

Earth Day encourages going green

• Getting to Know Ms. Canonico

News

In-N-Out Burger tickets now available

• Getting to Know Ms. Canonico

News

FCCLA teams bring home 1st, 2nd, 4th place at State Leadership Meeting

• Getting to Know Ms. Canonico

News

Seussical earns 5 nominations

The student news site of Midlothian High School
Getting to Know Ms. Canonico