The student news site of Midlothian High School

Midlothian Messenger

Pros and Cons of Social Media

Written by Kiernan Brannan, Staff Writer

Social media is everywhere.

From the computers in our homes to the phones in our pockets, it’s hard to not see social media wherever you go. Adults and children all around the globe use social media, and it’s seems to be just the normal thing to do. But, depending on who you talk to, social media isn’t all as great as it’s cracked up to be. There are some disadvantages to social media as well as advantages, and students in our school have many different opinions about it. I went to see what the pros and cons of social media were for MHS students.

jonahJonah Blair (10) told us his feelings on social media. “Social media is great because it makes all your stuff accessible from everywhere, which is super convenient,” he said, “but my only problem with it is that it’s really easy for people to obtain sensitive information.”

sierraSierra Decker (10) shared her beliefs on the topic. “It makes it easier for us to see what’s going on in the world and be more connected,” she said, “but it opens us up to more negative influences.”

cadeCade Gilson (10) gave me his insight into his thoughts on social media. “I just really think it helps promote cultural diversity,” he said, “but it really grinds my gears when people exploit social media through body-shaming .”

ashleyAshley Batten (10) told us how she felt on the subject. “It makes it easier to get yourself out there and seen,” she said, “but some people use it to hate on people because they can hide behind it instead of facing their problems.”

duaneDuane Johnson (10) told me his opinion. “It allows you to keep in touch with friends with ease,” he said, “but along with social media, cyber-bullying have become a big issue.”

kamKamren Jones (10) told me what she thought about social media. She said, “Social media can make us desensitized to a lot of images and ideas out there.”

johnnyJonathan Curran (10) gave me his thoughts on social media. “Social media makes it that much easier to meet new people and make new friends.”

As you can see, everybody has their different opinions on the effects of social media. Whether it’s how hand-on and accessible it can be, or the encouragement of cyber-bullying, social media is a very controversial subject. Whatever your thoughts on the subject are, one things for sure. Social media has made a huge impact on this world’s society and is a huge part of our lives.

• Pros and Cons of Social Media

News

What a Legacy They Leave Us

• Pros and Cons of Social Media

News

The Origins of Halloween Explained

• Pros and Cons of Social Media

News

Fall sports prepare for upcoming school year

• Pros and Cons of Social Media

Photo Gallery

Engineering creates roller coasters

• Pros and Cons of Social Media

Photo Gallery

WOW Showcase draws in the community

• Pros and Cons of Social Media

Opinions

Teachers of my dreams

• Pros and Cons of Social Media

Opinions

Earth Day encourages going green

• Pros and Cons of Social Media

News

In-N-Out Burger tickets now available

• Pros and Cons of Social Media

News

FCCLA teams bring home 1st, 2nd, 4th place at State Leadership Meeting

• Pros and Cons of Social Media

News

Seussical earns 5 nominations

Pros and Cons of Social Media