The student news site of Midlothian High School

Midlothian Messenger

What Makes an Effective Teacher?

Written by Kiernan Brannan, Staff Writer

Teaching is not as easy as it sounds.

With lesson plans, testing, grading, and keeping kids in check, teachers have their work cut out for them. And, let’s face it, some people can’t take the heat. Not everybody is capable of being an effective teacher. But, the ones that are show that by making great students and memorable experiences.

But then, I wondered, what makes a teacher a good one?

Well, who else but the teachers themselves to answer that question.

“Being a bannistergood teacher takes hard planning, always being prepared, and knowing your subject,” Mrs. Bannister said. “A big thing is that you need to be available to your student whenever they need your help.”

coach

“To be an effective teacher you have to be able to relate to your students,” Coach Gabrysch said. “You also have to be very organized. Like me!”

petitt“Students really need to know that you care about them,” Mrs. Pettit said. “Also, that you care about what your doing as a teacher. You need to be reliable and understanding to your students.”

Every teacher has his or her own way of teaching. That’s just how it goes. But, one thing you see in all of their answers is the importance of the students. They make sure the students are not only learning what they need from the teacher, but, at the same time the teacher needs to learn from the students. Having this student/teacher bond is what I feel makes a teacher an effective teacher.

What Makes an Effective Teacher?