The student news site of Midlothian High School

Midlothian Messenger

Don’t Be An Idiot: Would You Like Fries With That?

Written by Olivia Ewton, Staff Writer

Ah, fast food. One of the most frequently acquired jobs for people 15-20 seems to be one of the most perused environments of people who don’t know what they want or how general kindness works. You’d think that after 43 years of life and 15 years of eating at the same south-eastern chain, Soccer-Mom Sharon would know that you can’t order 15 bags of ice at once, or that this party of 28 teenagers would know that 9:57 is not an acceptable time to ask to Dine-In (especially when we close at 10).

Common sense doesn’t seem to be so common anymore, especially when it comes to the customer service industry. Every night, it seems as if every customer I come into contact with has some sort of “problem” that isn’t my or my crew’s fault, but rather one of their own stupidity. Being on the phone, not reading the menu, or even lying.

I’m sorry, ma’am, that you did not receive your meal as perfect as you originally imagined- it may have been dependent upon the fact that you did, in fact, talk on the phone for the entirety of the time that you were ordering. I can not ensure you that your experience here at a south-eastern chicken chain will be to par if you can’t manage to get off your phone long enough to order. This happens far too often for anyone in fast food to understand. The goal of fast food is to be fast, not problematic and time consuming. Not only that, but you’re only inconveniencing yourself. I can’t wrap my mind around why customers make their life even harder. Don’t be an idiot, get off the phone.

“Do you have soup?”

When have we had soup, Sharon? We’ve been open for nearly 30 years, when have we EVER had soup? For some reason, customers in fast food think they don’t have to look at the menu when ordering. It’s almost as if they assume my job is to spoon feed them everything- the menu, the prices, their food. I know the customer is always right, but it’s almost as if the customer is incapable of BEING right.

“Hi, I’d like a Combo #1.”

“With two sides or one side and one drink?”

“Hmm. Two sides.”

[insert blank staring here]

For some reason, customers think that I, a 16 year old cashier, know what sides they want without me telling them. Why this is, I’m not sure. But there comes a time where the line is 10 customers long, drive thru is wrapped around the building, and you are far too incompetent to fathom knowing what sides you want. Don’t be an idiot, look at the menu.

Finally, the biggest inconvenience I’ve experienced while working in fast food: liars. Customers show up, order food, and lie about what they were served.

“I didn’t get my peppers.”

“I’m sorry about that sir, how many are you missing?”

“Oh, uh, like, 7?”

“Can I see your receipt?”

In situations like these, I can almost always guarantee you that these customers didn’t even order ONE jalapeno. They think they can pull a fast one on me, assuming I’m just going to fall into their trap and give them free food, which, keep in mind, is very cheap to begin with. Doing things like this not only irritates me, but it makes you angry and gets me in trouble. 9 times out of 10, lying customers begin to yell, my managers get involved, and I either get chewed out for not “serving the customer” or giving out free food. There’s no way to win, it’s at the fault of you and your problematic personality. From that point forward, my day is pretty much ruined and every customer after you is impacted by how you, a grown adult, decided to act. Don’t be an idiot, have SOME sense of morals.

Even in more “put together” fast food places like Chipotle, customers can be just as stupid. A kitchen manager from a location in San Bruno tells a story of one of his most memorable experiences with less than intelligent customers.

“One of the few times I worked line during the afternoon shift, I let both of my counter crews off for their breaks. It was the week of spring break, and whoever took the orders didn’t account for the boosts in sales for those who were out and about more than usual. On this particular day, we were running out of everything, but especially cheese. A customer came in, speaking fine english, and asked for a quesadilla. I calmly explained to him that, I was sorry, but we had no cheese. He then, proceeded to argue with me about what a quesadilla was until I was fed up. I snapped at him, and he eventually gave in and ordered a bowl. At this point, he realized we had no cheese. I still don’t know how he didn’t understand after I had told him countless numbers of times.”

Fast food is supposed to be fast, much like the thinking capabilities of the general population. It’s amazing how many people who gain from the customer service industry aren’t able to produce an attitude or approach that of a normal human being. Don’t be an idiot, your service providers are human too.

• Don’t Be An Idiot: Would You Like Fries With That?

News

What a Legacy They Leave Us

News

The Origins of Halloween Explained

News

Fall sports prepare for upcoming school year

Photo Gallery

Engineering creates roller coasters

Photo Gallery

WOW Showcase draws in the community

Opinions

Teachers of my dreams

Opinions

Earth Day encourages going green

News

In-N-Out Burger tickets now available

News

FCCLA teams bring home 1st, 2nd, 4th place at State Leadership Meeting

News

Seussical earns 5 nominations